So while my goal right now is to learn to live without a plan and let life unfold as it’s supposed to, I still believe in bucket lists. I think it’s fine to have a list of things you want to accomplish by a certain age (or before you die – hence, bucket list) within reason.
I thought about writing a 30 before 30 list, but then I realized that I had a LOT of things I wanted to accomplish and probably needed more time to do them. So, I’m giving myself 10 years to accomplish 35 things. Seems reasonable, right?
So, here we go: 35 before 35.
1. Deadlift 2x my body weight. Right now, my one rep max is 225, so I still have some progress to make to hit this. I think I can do it.
2. Put a down payment down on a house. It just feels like one of those adult things I really should do eventually.
3. Sit in the audience for a late night or a talk show. Preferably Ellen or Jimmy Fallon. That would just be fun.
4. Do a cage dive with sharks. So I’m not a swimmer – when I go to the beach, 95% of the time I’m laying on a towel rather than being in the water. But I really, really want to do a cage dive and see sharks up close. They just really fascinate me.
5. Go to Europe. In my 25 years of life I’ve never been. That saddens me.
6. Make a wish at Marie Laveau’s tomb. There’s an urban legend that says if you visit her tomb, write out 3 x’s, leave an offering and ask for a wish, she’ll grant it. So basically, this is a roundabout way of saying that I want to go to New Orleans.
7. Learn how to listen to my intuition. I don’t know if I can really put an end date on this one, but I’m including it because I would really love to learn how to trust my gut instincts more. Hey, it got me out to Alberta!
8. Go on a ‘real’ camping trip. I mean like backpacking to the middle of the woods with pup tents and sleeping there.
9. Have a job that I love. Although, isn’t this everyone’s dream immediately post-grad?
10. Feel comfortable having a conversation in French.
11. Visit Pompeii. It really interests me, for some reason.
12. Go on a tour in an ice cream or chocolate factory. I blame Willy Wonka for that dream.
13. Hold a handstand.
14. Do a Tough Mudder. Anyone want to do it with me in Calgary next year?
15. Be able to touch my toes in seated forward fold.
16. Go to Vegas. I’ve never been there either!Blend Vegas trip?
17. See a psychic. I’m so interested in them, but I’ve never been to see one in person. I’d love to sometime soon.
18. Get LASIK surgery. I’m so sick of glasses/contacts.
19. Eat peanut butter and bacon on a burger.
20. Finish the tattoo on my left side. I’m hoping to do this while I’m in Alberta, actually.
21. Get something published in print. As much as I’d love to write a book one day, I’ll start with an article or an essay.
22. Take out my tongue ring. I have to put this on the bucket list otherwise I probably won’t do it. I’m attached to it, but I definitely don’t need it. And I’ll feel a little awkward if I hit 35 and I still have the tongue piercing I got in a bout of 16-year-old rebellion.
23. Get a puppy sibling for Atticus.
24. Get a(nother) new tattoo. Ya, I like them.
25. Donate blood. I tried to do it about 2 years ago and couldn’t because of my low iron levels. They should be fine now though.
26. Run a half marathon. I want to do the one in Banff next summer!
27. Join a book club.
28. Improve on my swimming skills. Which currently are fairly non-existent.
29. Learn to snowboard. What better place than in the Rockies?
30. Go traveling solo. Does this move count? A little?
31. Go rock climbing outdoors. So ‘real’ rock climbing.
32. Do 3 consecutive pullups.
33. Become comfortable with the unknown and the unplanned.
34. Do yoga on top of a mountain. It just seems like a good place for it.
35. Spend at least 9 months in Alberta. I have no idea when I’ll head back to Ontario, but I want to stay in the mountains at least through the summer.
And that’s it! Looks like I’ve got some work cut out for me.
Have a good one!
<— Do you have a bucket list? What are some of the things on it?
<— What country/city/landmark would you most love to visit?
<— Do you ski or snowboard?
<— Ever taken a trip or gone travelling by yourself?