Hope everyone’s weekend has been fabulous so far…I’m still buried in schoolwork over here. The paper is slowly coming together though – almost there!
I took a study break yesterday for grocery shopping/meal planning. And by took a break, I mean it took me about 3 hours. We needed a lot, so it was one of those hit-up-multiple stores kinda thing. I went to the Farmer’s Market, the Dollar Store, the mall, Walmart and three grocery stores. But I got a lot of food and stayed in budget, so mission accomplished.
- deli ham
- 3 1 lb containers of ground chicken ($1 each!! Can’t beat that)
- a package of pork side ribs (Eric’s favourite, definitely going for girlfriend points here)
- flat of eggs
- almond milk (unsweetened original…I prefer vanilla, but they didn’t have it)
- extra firm tofu
- 2% plain Greek yogurt (Danone Oikos)
- whole wheat english muffins
- whole wheat bread
- egg noodles (no plans for these yet, but I love them and they were on sale. So into the cart they went)
- sweet potatoes (3 lbs for $3.50 at the market…unbeatable)
- red bell pepper
- green beans
- baby carrots
- spinach (buried under the carrots)
- apple juice (for ACV cocktail purposes)
- paper towel, dish soap and kleenex (all dollar store purchases. Yup, I’m that cheap)
- PopChips (they were on sale…could not help myself. )
- frozen meals (for Eric when I’m not home)
- cheap BBQ sauce (for the ribs)
- rice cakes
I think I came in at maybe $2 under budget? I’ll take it.
Gotta load up! I was actually planning on getting vanilla this time, but they were out. But, I can never say no to chocolate. You’d think I would just try a different brand, but nope – I love my Whey Gourmet.
I FINALLY got a foam roller!
The program I’m doing right now incorporates a lot of lower body work (read: squats and deadlifts) so the muscles in my legs have been super tight lately.
I’ll definitely be spending a lot of time with this baby over the next couple of weeks.
The Meal Plan
Dinners for the week:
- Saturday – soup and sandwiches (was originally on the plan for last Thursday, but I got caught up at school and we ended up just having leftovers)
- Sunday – spaghetti with ground chicken Bolognese
- Monday – chicken breasts with sweet potato fries and green beans
- Tuesday – leftovers/wing it
- Wednesday – slow cooker ribs and salad (so excited to finally break out the slow cooker!)
- Thursday – leftovers/wing it
- Friday – smoked ham with pineapple and veggies (either leftover beans or salad)
And that’s the plan, anyways. I’m not super strict about it by any means – I’ll switch it around or remove/add stuff if need be. I just like having a general idea of what I’m going to be making that week.
As per the meal plan, soup and sandwiches tonight.
I’ve had a huge craving for butternut squash soup lately, and the other day I noticed a recipe for curried butternut squash and apple soup in the November issue of Shape.
I didn’t follow the recipe 100% to a tee (but close enough that I can’t repeat the recipe here) but it turned out fabulously.
Velvety, thick and delicious. Although, making a pureed soup when the only blender-like device you have is a Magic Bullet is a little bit of a pain. A lot of blending in batches!
Totally worth it because it was awesome.
Complete with sandwiches:
Grilled cheese made with cheddar, ham and spinach. Made for a fabulous (and filling!) dinner!
Enjoy the final day of your weekend!
<— What do you buy from the dollar store?
<— Do you foam roll?