Good morning! So, it’s the first Friday of the month, and my first Friday in the new apartment. I can’t believe we’ve been here almost a week already! We did manage to get everything unpacked and the pictures/curtains up, so it really feels like ours. We’re definitely thrilled with it so far!
But, onto the Friday lists:
Five Things I’ve Eaten Lately:
1. My first breakfast in the new apartment.
Making due with the little things I had in the fridge/pantry at that point. The bottom of a container of plain 2% Oikos with cinnamon and vanilla stevia mixed in, cashew butter, and Fibre 1. It did the job.
2. And the first dinner I made!
Stirfry with shrimp, calamari and veggies on a bed of brown rice. One of Eric’s favourite meals, so I think he was happy it was the first ‘official’ dinner in the new apartment.
3. Banana protein pancake with the rest of the sliced banana, peanut butter and jam.
As soon as we get back into cooler weather, pancakes are probably going to become a breakfast regular again. And I’ve decided that PB&J needs to be eaten in some form pretty much daily. Such a fabulously classic combo.
4. Baked catfish, roasted buttercup squash and sauteed baby bok choy.
Yup…the squash has emerged. I ate it for dinner, I ate it for a snack later that night, and then for lunch the next day…Eric had maybe 1/5 of the thing? Yup, I’m on the squash train.
I’m also attempting to solve a squash mystery – are kabocha and buttercup the same thing? They look exactly alike and I would argue that they taste the same, but Wikipedia tells me different. Yes, I consider it vital that I figure this out.
5. Sunday’s lunch sushi.
With a seaweed salad on the side, was pretty much perfect. And that’s it for takeout/eating out for a little while…until Eric and I have our weekly date night on Saturday
5 Things Happening This Week:
1. For our first shopping trip, we randomly decided to hit up Superking Supermarket, an Asian grocery store nearby. Um, BEST.IDEA.EVER.
Why did I not realize that Asian grocery stores were like mecca for cheap produce and meat/seafood?! I was able to get a bundle of three bell peppers for the price I typically pay for one, about a pound of salmon for less than 3 dollars (!!!!!), two big pork chops for $2.50…insane. The prices on the processed foods weren’t that great and were a tad limited, but for the fresh stuff…I can’t even wrap my mind around it. I’ll definitely be going there often.
And the sushi I mentioned? They have a sushi counter there and that tray was less than $7.00….yea, that is one hell of a sushi deal. I’m officially obsessed.
2. Awesome foodie news to terrible foodie news. There’s a huge Farmers market just over an hour away – St. Jacob’s. It’s actually the biggest year round market in Canada. Earlier this week, the main building was absolutely leveled by an overnight fire. It’s looks like they’ll be partially reopening, but still – that’s awful. Of course, the main thing is that no one was hurt, and the fire didn’t spread to where the livestock were kept. I was just talking to my mom a few weeks ago about how we’ll have to make a trip up there at the end of the month for their Fall produce. Fingers crossed that they’ll be bouncing back quickly.
3. Our shower wasn’t working for a few days, so I took a bath for the first time in…2 years? I know everyone finds them relaxing, but I’m just not a big fan. Maybe if I had some bubbles, I’d be more apt to take them…
4. I am so happy to have this in my possession again.
I love all forms of nut butter, but peanut butter will always have my heart. I tried not to go too nuts (haha) when I went shopping this week because I’m pretty sure that I’m going to buy like 10 jars when I’m in Minneapolis next week (!!!!). And yes, I don’t think that I’m exaggerating at all with that.
5. After we went curtain shopping, I realized that we needed one more (the package we bought for our balcony only came with one) so I had to rush back to Target and buy another one. I did, but then this happened as well:
Hershey’s Miniatures are where it’s at.
5 Things I’m Obsessing Over in Our New Apartment:
1. The kitchen! I actually have a spacious, well-lit kitchen with more cupboard space than I know what to do with (which coming from me, is huge…I buy a lot of pantry items).
And the stove and the fridge are brand new. That is fantastic.
2. The balcony! We didn’t have one at our last apartment, so it’s so nice to have a little space outside to sit and eat or read or whathaveyou. I definitely want to put a little grill out there too.
And yes, we currently just have bag chairs out there…I’ll get a patio set eventually. And, having easy access to light means that my photography actually improves, which bodes well for future recipe posting!
3. The green space. It’s so nice to take Atti out first thing and be surrounded by green. We already have a good 30-45 minute loop established for walks, and it’s so pretty. We also walk right by an ice cream stand, which may have to be taken advantage of in the near future.
4. Having my own little desk/workspace. In the old apartment the only place we had room for one was in a dark, cramped corner of the bedroom, so I never used it – all my work/essay writing was done on a corner of the couch. I love having my own space to sit and properly get work (or you know….blogging) done.
5. Linoleum/hardwood floors. Basically, I never want carpet again ever.
And hopefully I’m done with apartment love, but no promises
And just to finish off the post on a good note:
Cutest pug ever.
Have a great start to your weekend!
<— Do you ever shop at Asian/ethnic grocery stores?
<— Do you take frequent bubble baths?
<— Do you have a computer desk, or do you tend to use a laptop at the table/counter/couch?
<— What are some of your favourite things about your current house/apartment?