Happy Friday! I have to admit, I missed this post last week – it’s one of my favourites to write! I mean, there’s food, there’s the random thoughts swirling in my head, and then there’s whatever else is catching my attention at that point in time. How could I not love writing that?
So, on with it then…Friday lists!
5 Things I’ve Eaten Lately:
1. A cereal-topped green smoothie.
Even though we’re only a few days away from the official start of Fall, for some reason I am all about green smoothies right now – I’m pretty sure I’ve had at least one for a breakfast, a lunch and a dinner this week.
2. Seafood stirfry with udon noodles.
Shrimp, calamari rings and chopped crab meat with onion, red bell pepper strips and baby bok choy stirfried in a simple sauce. I think udon noodles have to be my favourite base for stirfries- there’s something about the super-thick texture that I just love.
3. A banana protein pancake with the rest of the banana slices and Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut butter.
This may just be the best breakfast I’ve had in a long time. Amazing.
4. A lunch snack plate of Katy’s Kettle Corn Popchips, baby carrots, hummus, a cheese string, and Greek yogurt with coconut almonds and cereal.
For whatever reason, I’ve been craving snacky food like mad this week. So, a lunch plate of snacks pretty much solves that problem. So good.
5. Brinner – pan-fried pork belly with whole wheat pancakes (topped with a bit of butter and with real maple syrup for dipping) and grapes.
I’ve never cooked or even eaten pork belly before – although really, it’s just bacon before they smoke it. It actually turned out really good; it reminded me more of peameal bacon than the regular stuff. And really, you just can’t go wrong with brinner.
5 Things Happening this Week:
1. So this was last week, but one day in the middle of the afternoon we happened to see this out on our balcony:
That was a couple of days before I left for HLS, and Eric told me that he was hanging around afterwards. Kind of hoping he’s disappeared by now, because Atti is definitely NOT a fan. Eric seemed to think it was pretty funny though:
2. I seriously love living next to Springbank park. They’ve got a huge fenced-in dog park for Atti (where we took him a few weeks ago and he befriended a ten-month-old Bull Mastiff/Great Dane mix…I swear, that pug is convinced that he’s about 5 times bigger than he actually is) and I’ve gone on a couple runs and bike rides around it.
I have to say, it’s really nice to just go for a bike ride for the sake of going for a bike ride, as opposed to trying to get somewhere. It made for a nice morning, for sure!
3. In addition to understand the blogger Whole Foods and Chipotle obsessions, I’m starting to understand the Lululemon thing. While I don’t agree with their business practices, I will admit that their clothing is seriously comfortable. I borrowed a sweater from Amanda for our Whole Foods trip and it kind of has me feeling like I need to go out and buy one of my own…
Although, that would mean that I would have to pay outrageous Lulu prices. But umm…I have a birthday coming up in a month. (Friends? Boyfriend? Parents? Hint hint?).
4. Atti got stung by a bee when Eric and I went to take him for a walk Wednesday night – literally feet from our apartment door. All the crab apples on the trees surrounding the property are starting to fall, so I’ve been seeing a lot of bees lately. He suddenly started yelping and limping, and then I saw a bee flying away – he managed to step on it. It swelled up and he seemed a little traumatized, but he survived.
Nothing that a nap can’t fix.
5. I joined a gym again! There was one that I’ve been planning on joining, and I finally got around to doing so. They’re known for their fitness classes, and I’m actually right in the middle between their two London locations – so I basically get double the options (I can go to both without extra cost). It’s definitely an expense (especially after having free access to the school gym last school year), but it’s a really nice gym so I’m willing to pay for it. I’m looking forward to trying some new things!
5 things I brought back from Minneapolis:
1. Almonds. So.many.almonds.
As one of the HLS sponsors, Blue Diamond had a big table with a TON of almond packets to give away…and we were told to take as many as we liked. So, of course I took advantage – plus we had some in our swag. The only ones I’ve gotten to so far are the coconut and the strawberry, but both of those were fabulous. People keep telling me how good the caramel macchiato ones are, so I think I need to get on that.
2. Nut butters.
I had to tell myself to stop at three, because there were at least 2-3 more in our random Whole Foods/Target wanderings that I wanted to get. I know that Amanda always talks about Maisie Jane’s almond butter, so I was curious to try it. It’s really good! Usually the just-almond varieties of nut butters tend to feel a little plastic-y in texture, but none of that with Maisie Jane’s. And it came in crunchy, which just makes me happy. Plus two varieties of Justin’s, because that just had to happen. The Chocolate Hazelnut will not be lasting long…
3. Biotrust Protein Cookie in Iced Oatmeal Raisin.
This was actually in the Kona Kase in our swag bag from HLS. I brought it to school with me as an afternoon snack, and I was actually pretty happy with it. Very cinnamon-y, which I obviously approve of.
4. Cinnamon Quaker Oatmeal Squares.
I’ve never seen this flavour in Canada, so me being a typical HLB in the sense that I will happily dump cinnamon onto everything I eat immediately snatched this up. This is one of the reasons people claim that cereal is addictive – it is insanely good. Oh and p.s.: for someone who claims not to be the biggest cereal obsessee, I brought home 5 boxes from HLS. Guess I know what I’ll be eating a lot of…
5. Alter Eco Dark Coconut Toffee bar.
I grabbed this on our Whole Foods trip, and it might have ended up being one of my smartest purchases on the trip…it is insane how good that chocolate is – and of course, it’s a huge plus that it’s organic and fair trade. I’ve seen it around health food stores before, so I’ll definitely be picking it up again soon.
and that’s all I got for you today – I hope your weekend is fabulous!
<— Do you like snack-style lunches?
<— What’s your favourite grain/starch for a stirfry? We usually do brown rice, udon, or brown rice noodles.
<— Are you a lululemon fan?
<— Have you experimented with any new products or ingredients in the kitchen lately? How’d it turn out?