Wooot weekend! And if you’re Canadian…woooot long weekend!
Yup, It’s Canadian Thanksgiving up in these parts. Although, my family Thanksgiving is actually being delayed an extra week due to family members being out of town, so my Thanksgiving won’t be until the 19th. But I can still enjoy the long weekend aspect of it, right?
Anyways, the Friday lists!
5 Things I’ve Eaten Lately:
1. The half sandwich and salad option at The Brown Dog coffee shop in Brantford. I went with the Philly sandwich (smoked meat, swiss, roasted red peppers and onions on marble rye) and the Mamma Mia salad – spinach, dried cranberries, cashews and feta with raspberry vinaigrette.
I finally decided to grab dinner in town while I was at school instead of eating a super-late meal at home, and this was a good decision! The coffee shop is relatively new to the downtown, but I really liked it – nice and homey.
2. Jessica’s Chickpea Curry.
I’m still trying to do one veggie dinner a week, so this recipe jumped out at me. I subbed extra peppers and green onions instead of leeks and snap peas, and I was really happy with how this turned out!
3. Crab cakes on spinach, leftover curry, and leftover fajita chicken and steak with salsa and guacamole.
When your fridge is full of leftovers and they all look good and you can’t decide which ones you want…the answer is some of everything. So random, but so good.
4. An even more random lunch.
The next day, I had the last of the curry, roasted kabocha, and beef jerky. I have been all about the random lunches this week, apparently.
And I spy a creeper in there!
5. Stirfried snap peas, salmon, and a barley and wild rice pilaf.
I attended a lunch social at school on Tuesday, so I got to bring home the rest of that pilaf. Barley, wild rice, cranberries and almonds – pretty fabulous.
5 Things Happening This Week:
1. We’re finally starting to feel the Fall weather around here, which apparently affected the pug – he had a bit of a cold last week. Of course, the second he started coughing and sneezing I spent about an hour searching for ‘pug kennel cough’ on Youtube and googling his symptoms. You know how people tell you that you shouldn’t google your symptoms when you’re sick because you’ll basically convinced yourself that you’re dying? Same goes for animals – just don’t do it. It was just a bit of congestion/sneezing, but he’s doing just fine now!
And he still likes carrots, clearly.
2. Eric and I went Halloween shopping last weekend and holy wow have companies stepped it up with creepy Halloween stuff. I mean, look at this:
When you step on a bottom it lights up, swings, sings, and it’s head turns around. If I was a trick-or-treating eight year old, I’d be needing therapy after finding that.
3. Brake lights are the bane of my existence. I went to take my driving test last Monday, but upon arrival realized that one of my brake lights was out, so of course I couldn’t take the test. The annoying thing is, that happened to me once when I was taking my first road test!! Brake lights just hate me, apparently.
4. I have so.much.baking. (and dessert eating!) to do over the next couple of weeks. I’ve got Thanksgiving, I’ve got my birthday, there’s Halloween, and there’s a Halloween bake sale that I’m contributing to. Good thing I love to be in my kitchen!
5. I love this. So much.
One of my favourite things about Halloween is watching The Nightmare Before Christmas. One of my favourite movies of all time! Fact: I was actually considering getting a Sally tattoo when I was younger. That’s off the table for now, but I still might get a little something to represent how much I adore this movie.
5 Posts I Think You Should Read:
1. 1200 Calories from Sophieologie. Basically, this sums up exactly how I feel about 1200 calorie diets and why they’re a terrible idea. Also, ‘toning’ = muscle, so you need to be feeding them!
2. Low Calorie Diets Can Be Dangerous from Slim Sanity. Alysia is awesome for sharing her story, and it provides a good luck at the negative effects of eating too little.
3. The Numbers Game from The Little Honey Bee. Don’t pay attention to the numbers!
4. Self-Like from Snack Therapy. There is a difference between self-love and self-like, and we have to make sure to like ourselves as well!
5. Every Moment is a Fresh Start from Running With Spoons. Don’t put it off until tomorrow – you deserve to have it today!
And that’s all for me today. I hope your weekend gets off to a fabulous start!
P.S. Birthday countdown: 13 days
<— Have you picked up any Halloween decorations? Anything really creepy?
<— Are you a Nightmare Before Christmas fan? Favourite character? Sally, followed closely by Zero.
<— Any must-read blog post lately? Leave me links!
<— Canadians, what are your Thanksgiving plans?