So, why didn’t anyone tell me that making homemade nut butter is actually pretty easy? I feel like I’ve stumbled onto a secret that could kind of change my life.
But seriously, bloggers and nut butter. We’re pretty obsessed, aren’t we? Remember when all you could find in grocery stores was Kraft peanut butter? And now, the list is never ending. My personal nut/coconut butter stash at the moment:
- this homemade honey vanilla peanut butter
- coconut butter
- chocolate coconut butter
- cashew butter
And currently in the mail on it’s way too me:
- PB & Co Cinnamon Raisin Swirl
- Barney Butter Crunchy Almond
- Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut
Yup…just maybe a little obsessed. And of course, now that I know I can make it at home in my Ninja Ultima…this is going to be a pretty regular occurrence. As much as I like experimenting with almond butter, cashew butter, coconut butter, and all that jazz….peanut butter will always have my heart. So of course, that was the first kind of homemade nut butter I wanted to make (giggle…nut butter).
And because if I’m going to have smooth peanut butter I want it really freakin’ smooth, I added in some coconut butter, which was perfect – added a bit of moisture without adding a lot of flavour. And when can you go wrong with either honey or vanilla?
- 1 3/4 cup lightly salted roasted peanuts *
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (2 tablespoons if you prefer a smoother texture)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
* If you use unsalted peanuts, I would suggest adding about 1/4 teaspoon salt to recipe.
1. Add nuts to blender. Set to about a three and blend, gradually raising the power to a 6-7 until the nuts are finely ground.
2. Add honey, coconut oil and vanilla. Pulse five times. Continue blending until incorporated.
Makes just over 1 cup of peanut butter.
Have a great day! (and hopefully, you’re not feeling too hungover this morning…)
<— Favourite kind of nut butter?
<— Nut butter Add-ins (flavours, sugar, oil, sea salt): yay or nay?
<— What nut butters do you have on hand right now?